Tokyo and Olympic Games
- Did you know that this is Tokyo’s third (3rd) time to be awarded the Summer games?
- First time was in 1940, but due to the war between Japan and China they were moved to Helsinki before being cancelled due to World War 2.
Second time was in 1964 and third will be in 2020!
- Tokyo’s fourth (4th) time to host Olympics: Tokyo 1964 Summer games, Sapporo 1972 and Nagano 1998 Winter games.
- Tokyo is the First (1st) city ever to hold Paralympic games for the second time! (First one in 1964, which was the first Paralympic games in the history of Summer Games).
- Trust the students: The final choice of Mascots, was left to the hand of millions Japanese students.
Symbols - Infinity
The Heritage zone includes sites used during 1964 Summer Games.
Heritage zone and Tokyo Bay area form two intersecting circles symbolizing infinity, and Athlete’s village will be built at the intersection.
Sports and Events
- While the first modern Olympic Games started with 9 sports, 33 will be held in Tokyo 2020. (In total 339 events!)
- Tokyo will host 5 new sports: Baseball/softball, Karate, Skateboarding, Sport Climbing, Surfing, while 15 new events will enrich the existing sports, including mixed-gender competitions.
- "Greenest" Gold Medals ever! About 5.000 Medals will be made out of recycled old cell phones!
- Robots are expected to welcome guests at Tokyo airport.
- Tokyo has more than 5.000 sushi bars to welcome Olympic visitors.
- 882 rail stations within which, 282 subway stations will easily transfer guests to venues.